Chauragarh Temple is a well-known historical temple in the beautiful hill station of Pachmarhi. Perching atop the peak of Chauragarh hill, this temple enshrines Lord Shiva. It was built during the reign of the King Sangram Shah and is also known as ‘Chhota Mahadeo Mandir’. To reach the temple, one has to climb various steps that are said to be over 800 in number to reach the magnificent shrine of Chauragarh.
It Is Known For:-
1) Chauragarh Temple aka Chota Mahadeo Mandir is an ancient shrine in Pachmarhi. It was built during the rule of the Gond Dynasty.
2) It is an architectural marvel that stands in the Gond style of architecture and can be seen from a distance due to its location atop the hill of Chauragarh.
3) It has beautiful carvings done on its outer walls and has a beautifully carved shikhara.
4) The temple sanctum enshrines an ancient Shivalinga that was installed by Sangram Shah, the king of the Gond Dynasty.
5) The festival of Maha Shivaratri is celebrated here with a great pomp and devotees flock on a vast scale during this auspicious occasion.
Best Time To Visit:-
Chauragarh Temple is a famous shrine that catches the attention of the visitors on a huge scale. This temple is visited by the locals and tourists alike throughout the year. Although it can be visited during any season of the year, the best time to make the trip rewarding is during March as Maha Shivaratri is observed during this month.
Pachmarhi is well-connected via roadways and railheads that connect it with the rest of Madhya Pradesh. Chauragarh Temple can be reached easily by hiring the service of the local buses, taxis, vans, and jeeps that are available on a frequent basis.
Nearest Railway Station:- Pipariya Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- Bhopal Airport
Top Things To Do In PachmarhiView All
Best Travel Packages in PachmarhiView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.