Karla-Bhaja Caves are historical caves that are found in Lonavala hill town of Maharashtra. Categorized as monuments of national interest, these caves are the rock-cut caves that date back to the earliest inhabitance of the humans in the present-day Lonavala. According to the excavations by the Archeological Department of India, these caves date back to 1st-2nd centuries when Hinaya Buddhism was introduced in India.
It Is Known For:-
1) Karla –Bhaja Caves are the caves that are dedicated to Buddhism.
2) They were founded during an early period when Hinaya Buddhism was introduced in the country.
3) These caves were carved by the artisans during the reign of Satvahana dynasty.
4) The interiors of these caves are carved beautifully with the images of Buddha, his teachings, and other artistic skills displayed by the artisans.
5) These caves were used as the place for meditation by the monks. There are some stupas within the vicinity of caves that are dedicated to the monks that achieved moksha in the state of meditation.
Best Time To Visit:-
Tourists visit Karla-Bhaja caves on a huge scale. It is a prominent tourist attraction that attracts the ones having a special taste in history and archaeology. Excluding the extreme summers, every season of the year is considered as feasible for visiting this place.
There is no entry fee that has to be paid for entering Karla-Bhaja Caves.
Karla-Bhaja Caves have a well-established network of the roadways and railways. The local transit like the jeep and taxi is another option that can be hired for reaching the place conveniently.
Nearest Railway Station:- Lonavala Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- Mumbai International Airport
Top Things To Do In LonavalaView All
Best Travel Packages in LonavalaView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.