Bushi Dam is a major travel attraction in Lonavala. It is a masonry dam that stands on Indrayani River. It is one among the oldest dams in India because it was built in the year 1860 for fulfilling the requirement of water for the Great Indian Peninsular Railway. At present, it is known by the name of Purvi Dam and has emerged as a famous tourist site for the locals and tourists.
It Is Known For:-
1) In the 18th century, the steam engines ran in Mumbai and to fulfill the water requirement for them, Bushi Dam came into existence.
2) Initially, this dam was used to supply the water to the Railways due to their demands. Since the funds from Lonavala were also collected in its construction, a separate canal system was built for providing waters to Lonavala.
3) Due to its strategic location near the Arabian Sea, the Indian Navy proposed to take over the dam for its practice and activities.
4) The proposal was accepted on the condition for boosting the place as a major tourist site in the region.
5) The backwaters of Bushi Dam form a lake that goes with the same name. Visitors can enjoy the activity of boating at this lake.
Best Time To Visit:-
Bushi Dam is a place that is visited by the tourists on a huge scale. It is an attraction that never disappoints the visitors. This is a place that can be visited during any season of the year but, the best time for witnessing its beauty is during monsoons.
Bushi Dam is well-connected via major roads and can be reached by hiring the service of the local taxis and buses that ply on its route.
Nearest Railway Station:- Lonavala Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- Mumbai International Airport
Top Things To Do In LonavalaView All
Best Travel Packages in LonavalaView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.