Ghanghad Fort is a renowned tourist attraction in the district of Pune in Maharashtra. It is an ancient fort that is said to be over 300 years old. This monument was used as a prison by the ruling clans that gained authority over this place. It lacked the basic amenities and thus, it was considered as the apt place for punishing the criminals. Ghanghad Fort was built during the reign of Peshwas but it was invaded and annexed by the Muslim ruler Adil Shah. After ruling for a prolonged period of time, the Maratha kings gained the authority but soon, they surrendered it to the British after the fall of Korigad.
It Is Known For:-
1) Ghanghad Fort is a famous tourist attraction in the district of Pune.
2) It is a fort in one of its own kinds because it was used a prison for the criminals apart from serving as a watchtower.
3) The architecture of this fort makes it an amazing marvel. It stands in the Hindu style of architecture and houses a temple of the guardian deity known by the name of Garjai Mandir.
4) Despite being a monument in a semi-ruined state, it is well-preserved by the locals and Shivaji Trail Group.
5) It is now a major trekking site and is visited by the trekkers extensively.
Best Time To Visit:-
Ghanghad Fort is visited on a wide scale due to its location. Visitors throughout the year can be spotted at this site relishing the venture of trekking. The best time for visiting Ghanghad Fort is between October-March.
With a well-established network of the roadways, one can reach the site of Ghanghad Fort by de-boarding the bus/taxi at the village of Ekole. This village is the base from where the trek to the fort begins.
Nearest Railway Station:- Lonavala Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- New Pune International Airport
Top Things To Do In LonavalaView All
Best Travel Packages in LonavalaView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.