Thanumalayam Temple, or Sthanumalayam Temple, is a well-known sacred site in Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu. It is a 17th-century temple dedicated to the Hindu Trinity, Brahma-Vishnu-Mahesh. 'Sthanu' means Shiva, 'Mal' means Vishnu, and 'Ayan' means Brahma. The sanctum of this temple enshrines a unique idol that depicts the fusion of the Hindu Trinity. The devotees from distant places visit this site on a huge scale.
It Is Known For:-
1) Thanumalayan Temple has a great religious significance among the Vaishavites and Shaivaites. Lord Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma are worshiped together in the form of a linga having four faces and coiled by Adishesha serpent
2) The entire temple structure is an architectural achievement. The temple complex houses 4 musical pillars that have a height of 18 feet and are carved out of a single rock. When struck, these pillars produce a musical sound
3) The vast dance hall of this temple houses 1035 pillars with unique serpentine carvings
4) The idol of Lord Anjaneya (Hanuman) is located inside the temple and is carved out of a single granite block
5) Due to the fear of Tipu Sultan's invasion, the idol of Lord Hanuman was buried inside the temple in the year 1730 and was forgotten. It was rediscovered in 1930
Best Time To Visit:-
Visited by thousands of devotees, Thanumalayan Temple can be visited throughout the year. A visitor/devotee should keep in mind his/her convenience, especially when he/she plans the trip to this shrine during the festive season.
Thanumalayan Temple is a major attraction and a must-see destination in Kanyakumari. It is well-connected with the roadways and railways. People can reach this temple either by bus, train, or taxi.
Nearest Railway Station- Eraniel Railway Station
Nearest Airport- Trivandrum Airport
Top Things To Do In KanyakumariView All
Best Travel Packages in KanyakumariView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.