Nohkalikai Falls is a must-visit travel destination in Meghalaya. It is located in the district of Cherrapunjee and is surrounded by the lush green surroundings. The waters of this waterfall rush down from a monstrous height of 1,115 feet that makes it the highest waterfall in India! Being the highest waterfall in the country, it is visited by the people on a huge scale. It is named after a rural woman who committed suicide due to some reasons.
It Is Known For:-
1) Nohkalikai Falls is the highest waterfall in India.
2) It spills down from a huge height of 1,115 feet amid the cliffs and forms a pool.
3) It is named after a woman who died after committing suicide. According to the folklore, her second husband hated her infant daughter and decided to kill her. While Likai was out for work, he killed the infant girl, removed the flesh and bones, and ate her after cooking her meat.
4) When Likai returned, she ate the meat as she was tired. When she discovered a severed finger and was enraged. She ran towards the waterfall and jumped to kill herself.
5) Today, it is a picturesque location that is enough to provide calmness to eyes and rejuvenate the senses.
Best Time To Visit:-
Nohkalikai Falls is one among the prominent tourist sites. Due to its fame, it is visited by a large number of people frequently. Due to its higher elevation, the weather of this place remains pleasantly cool throughout the year and thus, Nohkalikai Falls can be visited during any season of the year.
With a well-established network of roadways and frequent service of the local transit, reaching Nohkalikai Falls is a hassle-free process. One can reach this place either by bus or by taxi.
Nearest Railway Station- Guwahati Railway Station
Nearest Airport- Shillong Airport
|Cost||:||No Entry Free|
Top Things To Do In CherrapunjiView All
Best Travel Packages in CherrapunjiView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.