Kopeshwar Temple is a well-known Hindu shrine located in the city of Kolhapur, Maharashtra. This temple is dedicated to the fierce form of Lord Mahadeva known as Veerbhadra. Lord Shiva is worshiped here in the form of a Shivalinga as well as a sculpture of his fierce form, Veerbhadra. The interiors of the temple are adorned with the serpentine carvings on the walls. According to a legend, Daksha insulted Lord Shiva by not inviting him on a yagna. When he reached the place along with his wife Sati, Daksha was annoyed and used foul words for the Supreme Lord. Hearing this, Sati immolated herself as she couldn’t bear the insult of her husband. Her immolation has been displayed through the carvings on interiors walls of the temple.
It Is Known For:-
1) Kopeshwar Temple is the finest example of the Maratha style of architecture as it was built in the 11th century.
2) It is dedicated to Lord Veerbhadra, a fierce form of Lord Shiva who beheaded King Daksha after Sati immolated herself in the yagna fire.
3) The sanctum of this temple houses a Shivalinga and a sculpture of Veerbhadra in the courtyard.
4) The aarti takes place on a daily basis thrice a day. Devotees gather at the temple to mark their presence and receive the blessings.
5) The festival of Maha Shivaratri is celebrated here with a great pomp and all Mondays of the year, especially in the Kartik Mass are special.
Best Time To Visit:-
Kopeshwar Temple is a famous shrine that attracts the attention of tourists and devotees alike. This place is flocked by countless visitors throughout the year and the footfall increases on the occasion of Maha Shivaratri.
Kopeshwar Mahadev Temple has a well-establish network of roadways and local railheads. Such connectivity allows people to reach the place conveniently. The local transit is also available on a frequent basis.
Nearest Railway Station:- Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Station
Nearest Airport:- Kolhapur Airport
Top Things To Do In KolhapurView All
Best Travel Packages in KolhapurView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.