Borra Caves are a great point of interest in Visakhapatnam. These marvelous caves are found in the hills of Ananthagiri in Araku Valley. Borra Caves are listed among the largest caves in India and they are made up of Karstic Limestone. They have a depth of 260 that makes them the deepest caves in the country. According to the history, these caves were discovered in the early 18th century by William George from Geological Survey of India.
It Is Known For:-
1) Borra Caves are one of the largest caves in India
2) Having a depth of 260 feet, they are tagged 'deepest caves in the country'
3) An ancient rock Shivalinga that is claimed to be self-manifested was found by the shepherds when a cow slipped but remained unhurt
4) Countless species of microorganisms are found in these caves
5) Interestingly, the temperature inside Borra Caves remain 16°C-20°C throughout the year due to insufficient sunlight
Best Time To Visit:-
To visit and gaze at the natural rock formations inside Borra Caves, the appropriate time is during the months between January-March and August-November. During that time, the weather is perfect for exploring the caves and the nearby forests. The travelers need to carry extra food items as the food outlets are located far away. A flashlight is a must as there is no source of light inside the caves.
Since Borra Caves is located in a hilly region, reaching the place becomes a package full of fun. Travelers can reach the hills of Ananthagiri by hiring a jeep. After reaching the hilly area, a short trek can be relished to reach and explore Borra Caves.
Nearest Railway Station- Vizag Railway Station
Nearest Airport- Visakhapatnam International Airport
Top Things To Do In VisakhapatnamView All
Best Travel Packages in VisakhapatnamView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.