Being Gods own country, Kerala is the best place in India to experience the magic of nature and witness the captivating beauty of wildlife. If you are a wildlife enthusiast and an avid bird lover, you can not miss out on Thettekad bird sanctuary while planning a trip to Kerala. Being applauded as a Paradise for Bird-Watching, it is one of the best places in India to witness hundreds of kaleidoscopic birds in their natural habitat.
Spread across 25 sq km, Thattekkad bird sanctuary in Ernakulam district, Kerala is a small paradise on earth which is home to more than 300 species of migratory and resident birds like Indian pitta, cormorants, yellow browed bulbuls, large-billed leaf warbler etc. Situated on the banks of the Periyar River, the dense and thick forest of this sanctuary offers a safe paradise for birds some of the rarest and endeared species of birds like bee-eater, sunbird, night heron, white-bellied blue flycatcher, wayanad laughing thrush etc.
The sanctuary is open from 6 A.M. to 6 P.M. and it takes around 4 to 5 hours to complete the visit to this sanctuary. To make the most of your trip in this bird sanctuary, you should hire an efficient guide as they can take you to the right spots in the wilderness.
Visitor information at a glance:
• Thattekad is one of the best spots for bird spotting in India
• Thattekad Sanctuary is also known as Salim Ali bird sanctuary
• This is the place is home to more than 500 species of birds along with a few wild animals like sloth bear, cobra, elephant, leopards etc
• This area has a large quantity of teak and mahogany cultivated
• Besides a couple of nearby homestays, there are Inspection Bungalow and Watchtower accommodation within the sanctuary.
• It is open from 6 A.M. to 6 P.M. and it takes around 3-4 hours to complete the visit to this sanctuary.
• Visiting this place during the day time is highly recommended.
Thattekad bird sanctuary Thattekad is the first bird sanctuary in Kerala. Thattekad was declared a sanctuary by Kerala government on the recommendation of famous ornithologists in India Dr Salim Ali in the year 1983. It was surveyed and described as the richest bird habitat of peninsular India by the legendary Bird Man of India Dr Salim Ali. Endowed with rich flora and fauna and varied birdlife, Thattekad bird sanctuary is one of the best natural habitats of thousands of migratory, forest and water birds. This forest is also inhabited by some wild animals like elephants, leopards, sloth bear, porcupine etc.
When to visit:
The weather in Thattekad remains pleasant throughout the year. However, don’t plan your trip to Thattekad bird sanctuary in monsoon season (June - September) as this place becomes inaccessible due to heavy rainfall. When planning a holiday to Thattekad bird sanctuary, try to travel between October and February. During this time not only the weather is pleasant but also the possibilities of spotting migratory birds are higher. Birds from the Himalayas and other foreign regions arrive in Thattekad during that period.
Nearby attractions: The most amazing part about a bird-watching trip in Thattekad is that here you can enjoy kayaking. Apart from bird watching, you can explore some of the popular tourist attractions near Thattekad bird sanctuary like Bhoothathankettu dam, Kothamangalam waterfall, Pallikal kavu temple, Bolgatty, Mattancherry, Edamalayar Forest, beaches of river Periyar etc. If you have more time, you can consider visiting Munnar, Alleppey, Marine Drive of Kochi and the temples of Ernakulam.
How to reach there:
• By air: The nearest airport from this place is located in Kochi at a distance of around 45 km. You can hire a taxi from Kochi airport and it will take you nearly an hour time to reach Thattekad bird sanctuary.
• By train: The nearest rail station is in Aluva which is around 50 km far from this sanctuary. One can easily get a cab or bus from the station, and reach Thattekad.
• By road: Reaching via road from Kothamangalam is an easy option to reach Thattekad. One can easily get bus or cab from Kothamangalam to Thattekad bird sanctuary.
Blessed with serenity and captivating beauty of nature, Thattekad bird sanctuary can be best experienced by taking travel packages from a reputed tour operator. Offering a wide range of bird watching itineraries and safari packages that include accommodation, food, transportation, and safari cost etc, the organizer makes your vacation at Thattekad more pleasant.
|Also Known As||:||Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary|
|Best Time to Visit||:||October to March|
|Nearest Railway Station||:||Aluva Railway Station|
|Nearest Airport||:||Cochin International Airport|
Top Things To Do In ErnakulamView All
Best Travel Packages in ErnakulamView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.