Located on the outskirts of Raigad, Karnala Fort is a historical monument in Maharashtra. Currently, it lies in the vicinity of Karnala Bird Sanctuary. Karnala Fort is another marvelous example of the Hindu style of architecture and was built during Devagiri Yadavs’ reign and later on by Tughlaqs. It served as an authoritarian seat to many powers like the Portuguese, British, and Peshwas. Today, it stands in a semi-ruined position and is covered with plants but has a charm of attracting the visitors.
It Is Known For:-
1) It is known for having two forts. One fort stands on the upper hill, whereas, the second fort is relatively small and stands on the lower hill.
2) It is built in the Hindu style of architecture and has 125 feet-high pillar that was used as a watchtower. It was completely destroyed due to natural calamities.
3) The fort located on the upper hill provides a panoramic view of Dronagiri Fort, Rajmachi, Matheran, Chandeli Fort etc.
4) The fort also houses a temple dedicated to Goddess Bhavani. Shivaji worshiped Goddess Bhavani ardently and was once blessed by a sword that was presented to him by the Goddess herself.
5) This place is considered as apt for relishing the thrill of trekking.
Best Time To Visit:-
The best time for visiting Karnala Fort in Raigad is during the months between October-March. It is the right time for exploring the ruins and experiencing the thrill of the adventure activities as the weather is pleasantly cool, especially during the daytime.
Karnala Fort can be reached easily by bus, taxi, or tempo traveler because it has a wider connectivity of the roadways.
Nearest Railway Station:- Veer Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- Shivaji International Airport
Top Things To Do In RaigadView All
Best Travel Packages in RaigadView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.