Sitabuldi Fort is a well-known historical monument in Nagpur. It is a fort that stands on a hillock and was constructed under the rule of Mudhoji Bhonsle II. It served as the ruling seat for Mudhoji for a long period before the third and final Anglo-Maratha war. In the beginning of the 19th century, the British powers were victorious in annexing the Maratha Empire completely and Sitabuldi Fort was also one among it. Presently, it is the home to the Indian Army’s 118th Battalion Grenadiers.
It Is Known For:-
1) This fort stands on two hillocks that overlooked the entire area of Sitabuldi.
2) It comprised the palace of the ruling clan and served as the watchtower as well.
3) A small Hindu temple and mosque are located within the premises.
4) This fort was built at a strategic location and numerous attempts were made by the foreign powers to annex it. During the third and final Anglo-Maratha war, Sitabuldi Fort came under the rule of the British power.
5) The Peshwas tried to take it back from the British but due to the support of the Portuguese, their efforts went in vain.
6) After the independence, the Indian Army took over as the authority of the place and now it serve s as the home to the 118th battalion of the Grenadiers.
7) This fort is opened to the public on the occasion of the Republic Day, Maharashtra Day, and Independence Day.
Best Time To Visit:-
The best time for visiting Sitabuldi Fort is on the occasion of the Indian Republic Day, Independence Day, and Maharashtra Day.
Sitabuldi Fort is well-connected via roadways and can be reached conveniently by hiring the service of the local buses and taxis. The entry to the fort is free of cost for all visitors.
Nearest Railway Station:- Nagpur Junction
Nearest Airport:- Dr. B.R Ambedkar International Airport
Top Things To Do In NagpurView All
Best Travel Packages in NagpurView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.