Matanga Hill is one of the major crowd pullers in Hampi. This hill is the highest point in Hampi and attracts visitors on a huge scale. There are different legends associated with this place that goes like this- Vali, the king of monkeys was cursed by the sage Mathanga upon killing an innocent buffalo. In a rage, Vali tried to climb the hill but remained unsuccessful and realized it is due to the curse of the sage. Therefore, this hill came to be known by the name of Matanga Hill.
It Is Known For:-
1) Matanga Hill is an amazing place to enjoy the venture of trekking in Hampi as the rocky trails of the hill challenge the zealous trekkers to push their limits.
2) Being the highest point, it promises an awe-inspiring view of the sunrise and sunset. Numerous visitors visit this hillock to witness this beautiful site.
3) Atop the hill, a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is located where he is worshiped in the fierce form of Veerbhadra.
4) This hill has a cave where Vali, according to a legend, fought & killed a demon named Maayavi. His bout lasted for more than 15 days with the demon as per the legend.
5) Sugriva also took shelter at this hill after he was chased by Vali as he knew Vali was cursed and cannot venture the hill.
Best Time To Visit:-
Matanga Hill is a marvelous site that shouldn’t be missed. It can be visited on a daily basis. The best time for visiting this site is between October-March as the weather remains pleasantly cool and allows relishing the activity of trekking.
Matanga Hill shouldn’t be visited during monsoon. A heavy downpour makes the boulders wet that might ruin the fun and invite mishaps. Thus, trekkers should stay careful. Moreover, visitors are recommended to carry the flashlight because this area is relatively dim-lit.
All major highways, railheads, and airports connect Hampi with the rest of Karnataka and thus, it has become convenient for all to reach the city easily. Touring within the city can be done by the local autos and taxis. Bullock-cart rides are also fun at Hampi.
Nearest Railway Station:- Hospet Junction
Nearest Airport:- Hubli Airport
Top Things To Do In HampiView All
Best Travel Packages in HampiView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.