Linganamakki Dam needs no introduction. It is a famous earthen dam that stands on the River Sharavati and was built in the year 1964. The main purpose served by this dam is to maintain a balance between the water it disperses through canal system and the amount of water it holds. Due to its construction, the problem of irrigation and controlling the flood-like situation was eliminated.
It Is Known For:-
1) Linganamakki Dam was built to manage and control the flood-like situation that used to occur in River Sharavati due to a heavy downpour.
2) This dam has a height of 1,819 feet and a catchment area of 1991 sq. km.
3) Due to this massive structure, this dam has a capacity to hold back 151 cubic million water.
4) After the advancements, this dam also began serving the purpose of providing the fresh drinking water to the local dwellers in Shimoga.
5) Due to its large reservoir, the activity of boating can be relished here as well.
6) A certain area of Linganamakki Dam’s reservoir contains crocodiles.
Best Time To Visit:-
And there’s no special time in the year for paying a flying visit to Linganamakki Dam. This massive structure attracts thousands of tourists throughout the year and thus, any season is regarded as apt for visiting the site conveniently. However, the visit can be made memorable by marking the presence at the dam during monsoons.
Shimoga district has a huge web of the roads and local railheads. Linganamakki Dam can be reached conveniently by hiring the service of the local transit that is available on a frequent basis.
Nearest Railway Station:- Shimoga Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- Mangalore Airport
Top Things To Do In ShimogaView All
Best Travel Packages in ShimogaView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.