Shri Chhatrapati Shahu Museum, also known as New Palace, is a famous tourist attraction in Kolhapur. Entirely carved out of the black polished stone, it was built between 1877 and1884. This grandeur served as the royal residence of the great Maratha warrior king, Chhatrapati Shivaji and his direct heir, Chhatrapati Shahuji. It is a renowned landmark in the city and is visited by the tourists on a large scale.
It Is Known For:-
1) Chhatrapati Shahu Museum was the erstwhile royal residence of Chhatrapati Shivaji.
2) It was passed onto Chhatrapati Shahuji after his demise.
3) It is now known as the ‘New Palace’ and the ground floor of the building has been transformed into a museum.
4) This museum exhibits the lavish lifestyle that was led by Shivaji and his entire family. Right from the royal carpets to the royal throne, everything is preserved and kept for the display.
5) It also displays the personal belonging of Shivaji and his family that includes the dresses, utensils, jewelry, armor, weaponry, and some precious gemstones etc.
6) The other side of the ground floor is dedicated to all the collections and gifts that were presented to Shivaji by the British officials. It includes the expensive silver showpieces and some taxidermy animals that were hunted by the king himself.
Best Time To Visit:-
Shri Chhatrapati Shahuji Museum is a great place to visit and gather some knowledge about the warrior king and his valor. This museum catches the attention of visitors throughout the year. Thus, it is a place that can be visited during any time of the year.
The entry to this museum is free of cost and photography is strictly prohibited.
Shri Chhatrapati Shahuji Museum is located in a lively area and has a wider connectivity of roads. Due to its location, the local buses and taxis ply on its route in plenty. Such connectivity and frequent service of the transit makes it easier for the visitors to reach the place conveniently.
Nearest Railway Station:- Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Station
Nearest Airport:- Kolhapur Airport
Top Things To Do In KolhapurView All
Best Travel Packages in KolhapurView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.