Gajanur Dam is a famous earthen dam in the district of Shimoga in Karnataka. This dam is located near the village of the same name and dams the river Tunga. It was constructed in the year 1972 by Mysore Construction Company in the shape of ‘S’ for providing an ease for irrigation purposes and controlling the situation of a flood. Presently, it is a great tourist site and is flocked by visitors on a huge scale.
It Is Known For:-
1) Gajanur Dam is an ancient earthen dam in Shimoga.
2) It was built for controlling floods in the region and increasing the supply of water through proper channels for irrigation.
3) It has 22 crest gates and a capacity of holding 533 cubic million water.
4) Due to its construction, the thundering flow of the River Tunga has been controlled to a great extent.
5) Over the years, many renovations have been done in the nearby area of the dam and has been developed as a recreational site.
6) People visit the site for spending a couple of hours away from the bustling life of the city.
Best Time To Visit:-
Gajanur Dam never fails to draw tourists on a huge scale. Though it can be visited throughout the year, the best time to pay a visit to this place is during October-February. A pleasant weather uplifts the mood and allows spending more time at Gajanur Dam.
Gajanur Dam is well-connected with all major roads and railheads in Shimoga. The local transit like the buses, taxis, and autos can be hired for commuting to and from the site conveniently.
Nearest Railway Station:- Shimoga Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- Mangalore Airport
Top Things To Do In ShimogaView All
Best Travel Packages in ShimogaView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.