Located in the beautiful surroundings of Palani Hills, Kodaikanal Solar Observatory is a famous tourist attraction in the district of Dindigul. It is a solar observatory that is owned and managed by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics. The proposal of setting up this solar observatory was kept in the year 1893 and in the year 1901, this solar observatory was established. At present, it is equipped with all the modern imaging equipment. It is the foremost place that is visited for witnessing the celestial events.
It Is Known For:-
1) Kodaikanal Solar Observatory is equipped with the latest equipment for viewing the miraculous events that take place in the sky
2) A heliostat refractor that monitors the movement of the rays of the sun
3) A spectroheliograph is also situated in the observatory premises. It is used for studying the solar flares by the scientists
4) Regular exhibitions are organized here where different solar system models and other equipment are displayed
5) This observatory is often visited by the educational institutions for educating the children about the celestial bodies
Best Time To Visit:-
Kodaikanal Solar Observatory is a major place of interest in Dindigul. It attracts people on a large scale. Though it can be visited throughout the year, the best time for paying a visit there is during the celestial occurrences. It is the time when one can capture the sight of the miracles happening in the sky.
The entry to this observatory is paid for all excluding the senior citizens.
Solar Observatory in Kodaikanal is a major place of interest. Though it is located in the Palani Hills, it can be accessed easily by hiring the service of the local taxis.
Nearest Railway Station- Dindigul Junction
Nearest Airport- Madurai Airport
Top Things To Do In KodaikanalView All
Best Travel Packages in KodaikanalView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.