Chetiyagiri Temple, also known as Chetiyagiri Buddhist Temple is a renowned Buddhist temple in Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh. It is one of the must-see sites in Sanchi because it has a direct connection with Buddhism. It is a sacred site that also has the remnants of Buddha and the other monks whose samadhis are located in the temple complex. It attracts the visitors and devotees extensively.
It Is Known For:-
1) Chetiyagiri Buddhist Temple is dedicated to the ‘Enlightened Soul’ Buddha.
2) It was built in the year 1952 and took eight years for the completion. It was completed in the year 1960 and commemorated Buddha’s 2500th Nirvana.
3) Unlike other Buddhist temples, where Buddha is depicted as a young person, he is shown as an old personality reclining on a bed.
4) The interiors murals are awe-inspiring and attract visitors on a huge scale.
5) Chetiyagiri Vihara Festival is a major festival that is celebrated here with a great enthusiasm. It is usually observed during the last Sunday of November and the holy remnants of Buddha, the first priest of the temple, and other saints are displayed.
Best Time To Visit:-
Chetiyagiri Buddhist Temple is a holy place and draws countless devotees as well as tourists. It is a place that is visited by numerous people of age groups. Though it can be visited during any time of the year, the trip becomes unforgettable when it is visited during November. It is the time when the annual festival is celebrated with a great pomp.
Due to the location, Chetiyagiri Buddhist Temple is well-connected via all roads and railways in the city. A feasible mode of transport like the local bus, taxi, or auto can be hired for reaching the place smoothly.
Nearest Railway Station:- Sanchi Railway Station
Nearest Airport:- Raja Bhoj Airport
Top Things To Do In SanchiView All
Best Travel Packages in SanchiView More Packages
Add Your Travel Story
your email address will not be published. Required field are marked *
Comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.