Much of the tourism that comes to the region head towards the summer holiday resorts to be found along the northern coastal strip.
• El Sardinero near Santander is one of the most popular beaches for visitors to the capital city. It can get busy along its 1.3km length during the summer months, but the wide walkway, which is one of the prettiest in Spain, runs the whole length of the beach and there is a good supply of hotels and eateries to choose from.
• At one end of the beach can be found Magdalena Park, which offers a beach playground, mini zoo and train circuit.
• The town of Comillas has a picturesque sandy beach with a fishing port at one end.
• The beach at Laredo is over 4km long and has fine golden sand overlooked by a long promenade. It also offers good conditions and lifeguard facilities for those interested in surfing.
• Cantabria has many national parks for those interested in the flora and fauna Spain has to offer. Cantabria has a good selection of Nature Reserves both within the mountainous areas and along its northern coastal stretch.